Friday, December 8, 2006

Mountain Bike TREK 820

TREK 820 In Detail

Pros

good construction; mostly Shimano components; inexpensive

Cons
a tad heavy; kind of busy-looking

The Bottom Line
The current Trek 820 is a good quality entry level mountain bike.

Recommended Use: Daily Rides


The Trek 820 is a very nice mountain bike for people that are starting off in biking. Prior to this bike I had always owned bikes from Wal-Mart and places like that, and believe me next time I'm looking for a bike that is not where I'm going. I got this bike with the standard package.

I'm still riding around on my trusty Trek 820 that I bought several years ago. Mine doesn't have the front shocks of the current Trek 820, but it has Shimano components, a sturdy frame, and a nice ride. It has held up well over the years.

Recently, I had a chance to test drive the newest Trek 820 at my local bike dealer. To my surprise, the latest model costs substantially LESS than the 1998 model I still ride. I think mine retailed for about $400 (I paid $300), while the latest model retails for about $275, and can be had for about $250.

How does the current model differ from mine? Well, for starters, it looks different. Mine had a frame in the familiar triangular shape, with the top bar parallel to the ground. In the latest model, the top bar rises substantially, and the forward two tubes are thicker than on older Trek 820s. I prefer the older design aesthetically, but that's a matter of taste. A second difference is the handlebars. Mine went straight across; the newer model has a slight rise in the handlebars. Most important is the presence of front shocks on the newer model. The current Trek 820 feels bit heavier than mine, and the sales person confirmed that there is more steel and less "alloy" on the newer model.

The ride of the newer Trek 820 is smooth, and the shifters and brakes worked fine. I can't say whether the newer model would stand the test of time, but construction appears to be good. If my older Trek 820 is any indication, it will hold up well. I've probably put close to 20,000 miles on mine, mostly on paved trails, but some in the hills, and I haven't encountered any problems to speak of.

My older Trek 820 has Shimano brakes and gears, and I've found both to be of high quality. I emailed Trek to find out whether the current "Mountain Mix" is Shimano, and they responded quickly, saying that the newer model also has mostly Shimano components, though some are made by other manufacturers. Like my 1998 Trek 820, the newer Trek 820 is geared low, meaning you won't be able to go particularly fast unless you change some sprockets, but you're not looking at an entry level mountain bike for speed.

The front shocks made rising over curbs and off the trail a bit easier on the wrists and bottom. I didn't notice a substantial difference in balance, in spite of the slightly different frame design, relative to my olderTrek 820.

Overall, I think the Trek 820 is a solid performer in an entry level mountain bike, and I recommend you give one a test drive if you're looking for an inexpensive way to get around on trails, with occasional excursions off road. At $275, and even less when on sale, it's an excellent buy.

Recommended:
Yes

Amount Paid (US$): 250.00
Recommended Use: Daily Rides

No comments: